Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Twitter

~I have to thank Dr. Strange for asking me to teach or tell the class about twitter, because I know that if he had not I would have never cared! ~

So what is twitter? In short, its 160 characters of what you are doing at that time. It is just like updating your status on myspace or facebook. At first, I thought this was stupid. I mean, that's all I can do? Even private messages are restricted (but you can use more characters!)! When I made my account, everything just seemed self explanatory. I did watch a few movies to see what they thought about twitter and maybe there was something I was missing. I figured out that twitter is whatever you want to make it.

The first important thing to have when you make an account are followers! Though you can follow anyone, when you update no one will see it unless they are following you. I do not have a lot of followers but I do have enough that they try to communicate with me. I check my twitter about 10 times a day and update when I feel like it which is usually like 5 or 6 times a day. I have been trying to promote twitter with my friends so we can all follow each other. But no one wants to get on this band wagon with me. I'm glad that everyone in my class has one because it allowed me to make friendships and see what was going on in their lives.

I try to respond to people every day too. For a quick minute I had a lot of people I was following that made stupid tweets or ALOT of tweets and I would miss more interesting tweets so I ended up having to delete them. I wish there was some sort of filter where I could organize all my followers into catergories so it would be easier to read!

Honestly, I think that there are only few benefical aspects of twitter I can use for my classroom. I came up with the brilliant idea that I was going to have a twitter account that students and teachers could check out where I would post useful links and helpful facts. You don't have to have an account to see my twitter page, but you do to respond. I would not require students to have an account. This is simply because of the always issue that they may not have internet access out of school. I'm now a forever twitter user and I will continue to try to think of way twitter can be useful to me as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment