Saturday, January 17, 2009

ALEX

The Alabama Learning Exchange, or ALEX for short, is a collection of lesson plans that is created and posted by teachers. Almost any subject can be searched throughout this database. You can find traditional subjects like math, science, and reading to more up to date subjects like technology and computers. On the website (click here) you can conveniently choose which course of study you would like to review. It is broken down by subject, and then by grade once you have chosen your selection. To access the content on the website, you must become a member and log in. Without logging in, you can still see the subjects that there is available, how many lesson plans there are for that particular subject and do a search as well. The Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, and Students Statewide, or ACCESS, is a site that is for high school students that want to be in AP (Advanced Placement) courses, electives, and other programs that may not be available to them at their high school.

I think this website can be very useful to me now and when I become a teacher. If I get stuck on something or need to find the perfect assignment or lesson plan for my class, I can come to this site to get ideas. For instance, I decided to check out what was available for my perspective future class, which is 8th grade Language Arts. There is a short description of possible learning tactics and standards, and then a number of how many lesson plans there are those tactics and standards. I also, like the ACCESS website, because I feel that there students in high school that want more options, but do not know where to get help or where to look. This website is definitely useful to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment