Sunday, February 8, 2009

Is It Okay To Be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

I think what I liked most about the blog is the way it was presented. There was some serious information that was to be given, but it was not boring to read. This makes me believe more that blogs and technology in general is very important for our society today. I think though as new and future teacher, I know a thing or two about technology. Also, I am required to take a class for it, so I'm not illiterate to it, but what about teachers who have been teaching for at least 10 years and did not have the advantage of taking a course? Should they go back to school to gain the knowledge?

In the blog he asked:
"If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write."

In a way, I see how this is true, but learning how to read and working a computer is not on the same level. I really don't understand how a teacher and teach period if he or she does not know how to read or write. Having a computer is optional and not required to get a "good" education, but it sure does help out A LOT. I do believe that teachers should have some common knowledge about it since time is advancing.

I did not agree with him when he said that if a teacher does not know how a lot about technology they should not have their job. I'm sure when they got the job to begin with this was not a requirement to get their degree. I do agree though teachers should know what they are doing when it comes to technology. Not only can it be useful to their students, it can make their lives easier and less stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment